Jeff Davis: Tour Dates, Programs & Upcoming Concerts
Old-time songs and music from North America with fiddle, banjo, guitar and mandolin. Also see Young Audiences of Massachusetts to see dates and times for school performances. If you are interested in attending a school program to check it out, contact Young Audiences and then be sure to stop at the school's front office to get a pass/name tag.
This Saturday, April 27, Brian Peters and I will be doing a concert at the very fine Blackstone River Theater in Cumberland, Rhode Island. (8:00 p.m. $13 in advance; $15 at door). For Reservations, call: 401-725-9272.
Many of you know Brian from the occasional house concert in northeastern Connecticut, from the Mystic Sea Music Festival, Old Songs, the Vanilla Bean, Pinewoods Camp, and many other venues. He now tours all cross the US and--who knows?--maybe you will run into him at the Swannanoa gathering in North Carolina, or at the Augusta Heritage Festival in Elkins, West Virginia. For that matter, maybe you've seen him in Australia or New Zealand. Very often, when Brian is playing locally, I go along and sit in on parts of his concerts his concerts. LIkewise, when I'm in England, Brian adds immeasurably to my sets. Brian is a master of the anglo-concertina and English melodeon (button accordion), a brilliant accompanist on the guitar, a fine detailed singer, and a student of old songs. In fact, an English music magazine, Folk Roots, called Brian, "one of the best-researched performers currently doing the rounds." Folk Roots said, ". . . one of the very best performers in the field of English traditional song and music." [Let it also be noted that Brian recently did a concert as part of a quartet--an evening, on acoustic instruments, of songs by The Rolling Stones.] Brian also has a life-long interest in American traditional music. On the other hand, although I have always played American music, I grew up listening to English traditional music, performances by The Copper Family, the Young Tradition, Louis Killen, and many more. When Brian and I play music together we have the pleasure of singing music from both sides of the Atlantic. I get to, say, accompany English dance tunes on my mandocello, and Brian gets to back-up tunes and songs from Appalachia or the Adirondacks.
On Saturday we are joining forces and sharing the evening at the Blackstone; some some solo stuff; loads of duo pieces and some music from our new project: We have recently recorded songs and tunes collected by Cecil Sharp in the Appalachians in 1916-18. The CD is just out this week, still scorching hot off the presses. It is called Sharp's Appalachian Harvest, and we'll have copies at the concert.
Please come along!
Whether or not you can make it this Saturday, there are great concerts at the Blackstone River Theater. Have a look at their site: riverfolk.org
- January 28: Food Bank Concert,, Vanilla Bean, Pomfret CT
- February 10, 11 & 12: Cheltenham Folk Festival, England - Presenting 'Sharp's Appalachian Harvest' with Brian Peters, featuring the songs and music collected by Cecil Sharp in Appalachia in1915-1918
- February 13: Stockport, England - The Midway http://www.zen37219.zen.co.uk/redbullfolkclub.htm
- February 16: Lewes, England - Royal Oak http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~tinvic/
- February 17: Bodmin, England - Masons Arms http://www.bodminfolk.co.uk/
- February 19: Kingsbridge, England - The Crabshell Inn (with Brian Peters)
- February 22: Uppermill, England - Cross Keys
- February 23: Derby, England - The Old Oak, Horsley Woodhouse (with Brian Peters)
- February 24: Musical Traditions Club in London, England
- Feb 24: LONDON W1, The King and Queen
- February 26: Walthamstow, England - Old Rose & Crown http://www.walthamstowfolk.co.uk/
- February 29: Sowerby Bridge, England - Ryburn Three Step http://www.ryburn3step.org.uk/club.htm
- April 14: Branford Folk Music Society, Civil War Naval Songs with Dan Milner, Branford CT
- May 4 & 5: Concerts with the Cambridge Singers, American Music (Jeff Davis as featured performer), Cambridge, MA
- May 19: Rhode Island Folk Festival, Foster, RI, with Sally Rogers & Howie Bursen
- May 20: Jonathan Parson's House Concert, North Stonington CT with Howie Bursen
- August 9-12, Lunenburg Harbour Folk Festival, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia (Jeff Davis's 26th year there!)